DIY Project on How to Sew a Needlewomen's Suitcase

Recently, by a coincidence, I got great prints — one of which was with Zhostovo painting on felt (thanks to Tamara!). And I got the idea to make something interesting — not just a handbag or makeup bag, but something useful for my needlework.

Thus an idea of this suitcase with compartments and pockets for storage was born, which I want to share with you.

So, let's start.

For work you need:

1. Felt, 4 mm thick — a cut of 100 x 50 cm (I had black).

2. Felt 1 mm thick — 2 sheets of A4 (I had turquoise).

3. Two zippers — 20 cm (for an inside pocket) and 70 cm (for the suitcase).

4. Threads of two colours to match the felt.

5. Scissors.

6. Elastic band of 2 cm wide.

7. Glue (I had Moment Montage, it glues felt well, it's not liquid and firmly holds).

8. Two small buttons.

9. Adhesive cobweb (20x30 cm) or a glue tape (which is used for sticking the bottom of skirts or pants).

10. And actually the print on felt with Zhostovo painting (or any other which you like) of A4 size.

I recommend to make a pattern on paper or, if you have experience, you can just draw the details on the felt. I use junkware chalk for this purpose (which disappears after Ironing) — a very convenient thing.

Scheme details:

- case of 47х29 cm — 1 pc

- detail of 26,5x18,5 cm — 1 for the inner flap with a zipped pocket and 1 item with print

- detail of 10x20 cm, patch pocket — 1 pc (of turquoise felt)

- detail 40х20 cm, bottom with partitions — 1 pc

- detail 22х16 cm, zippered pocket — 1 pc (of turquoise felt)

- sides of the case, 2 pc: 2х69 cm and 3х69 cm (a zipper is sewed to them)

- 2 details of 4x7 cm (connecting parts of the inner flap to the suitcase)

- handle of 16x2 cm — 2 pc (one of black felt, another of turquoise)

And here are the details from felt.

Now you can start assembling.

Let's start with the body of the suitcase. Outline the borders with chalk or basting thread (dotted lines). Apply the patch pocket of turquoise felt and sew with turquoise threads. Don't forget to make a line in the middle of the pocket, thus you get two pockets.

Optionally, sew a stripe above the pocket , but not necessarily.

Here's what you got. This is the inner part of the upper cover of the suitcase.

Now turn over the detail, and apply the detail with the print where you have a pocket on the right side. Place the print in the center. Now you need the adhesive cobweb. Cut out a piece 5 mm less from each side than the piece with print. This is to ensure that the adhesive cobweb did not get beyond the boundaries of the print.

Then carefully apply the adhesive cobweb, then the print. See that the glue was in its place and the print laid straight. Put gauze or any thin cloth over it and iron to glue the print to the felt. Then amke a decorative stitching along the edge of the print. Note! The top thread — turquoise, the bottom one — black.

Here is the right and back.

Now work the inner valve partition. Cut a rubber band of 1 cm broader than the width of the flap, that is 19.5 cm. You need two such cuts. Mark them on the felt, approximately at the same distance from each other. The edges of the elastic band should be folded inside by 5 mm from each side. Stitch. Then mark the lines with chalk, the width is about 3 cm (or to your taste). Stitch.

Overturn. Sew the connecting parts (of the size 4x7 cm) at the distance of 4 cm (from each side).

Overlay them on the flap at the depth of 2 cm. Stitch.

Sew the zipper to the pocket of turquoise felt.

Retreat 1 cm from the edge with the connecting strips and apply the pocket, see that it found its place right. Stitch. Note! For the top — turquoise thread, for the bottom — black one.

I have found an embroidery and decided to use it. But it's not necessary.

Here is a photo of the both sides.

Next, sew the flap to the case.

To do this, apply the flap to the base of the suitcase. See that it took the place exactly at the sides. The middle of the main part is 5 cm, leave 5 mm from these borders and sew the stripes (4x4 cm) and crosswise.

Here you can see it well.

Now sew the zipper to the strips — first the one, then the second.

Next, sew the strips with the zipper to the base of the suitcase. I recommend to baste the details, so it will be easier to stitch them right.

Stitch leaveing 5 mm — first one side, then the second.

Then sew the edges of the zipper with a side. Carefully cut off the excess.

That's what should come out.

Now proceed to the inner part with the partitions.

In the pattern, the strips with the width of 6 cm are marked — these are the partitions. Fold along the planned lines, thus the height of each partitions is 3 cm. Stitch along the planned line.

I made decorative stitching, but it's not necessarily, one can make usual 2-3 lines.

Now try on this item to the suitcase, see if they match Make sure that everything is fine.

Get the detail from the bag and glue the inside.

And thoroughly glue the bottom of the suitcase. Pay special attention to the edges and joints with partitians.

Put the detail inside the suitcase again (try to do it gently, so as not to stain the suitcase with glue) and carefully pressed around the perimeter.

Now just the handles are left.

Join the two parts of the handle (remember, they are of different colour) and sew them together.

Sew the handle to the suitcase with the help of buttons.

That's all! Our bag is ready. Admire, enjoy.

The finished suitcase is 20.5 x 29 cm, height — 5.5 cm.

Thank you all for your attention.

Please be gentle, this is my first tutrorial.

Sincerely yours,

Galina