Budget Diy: Woman's Day Gift

There is a winning gift idea for your women.
Each of them has different sweet trifles but they are stored in a box or stuffed in bookshelves.
Now they all will have their own place.

The value of the item is that you make it it with your hands. The costs practically go to zero.

Take the much-loved boxes from under fruit of beech planks. Find them at the grocery markets or fairs.

Take a box to pieces.

Draw a sketch of the sectional shelves. Here you should make a decision. If that is a surprise, take the size and placement to your taste. The maximum shelf size is 50 x 50 cm (because of the original size of the box).

It is better not to make such a thing to your taste, and get a ready sketch from the receiver. In which she will describe the size of each section in detail and specify what she would like to put inside.

In my case, each board is cut in half. I got a 27 x 27 cm pattern in total

Mark:

Saw and leave for 10 hours:

You'd better saw 3–4 extra boards. Since some boards may be damaged.

Now, the "dusty" stage. Polish them with sandpaper. If there is a grinding tool, the task turms to be easy, but it gives more dust.

You can also not bother with polishing but just to paint the finished item (but that is an option for "the lazy").

Lay out the frame using a marking pad or a triangle.

Beech is very fragile and if you begin to hammer or screw a nail into it, the board will snap. So make sure that you have drilled a hole.

That is quite a time-consuming stage – make the cells. I made it according to sketch IV.

Use a saw or jig saw to cut the slots in the partitions and customize them.

Fasten the partitions using nails.

On the back side, fasten 2 sturdy hinges.

Wait for the Woman's Day and presenting the gift. Hang it on the wall. And watch the process of filling the shelves within 2-3 hours with pleasure.

It turned out a little crooked, but made with my own hands and with all my heart!

I want to share a piece of advice based on 30 years experience of using similar shelves:

Be sure to hang it on 2 strong screws. Not with a rope, as I did in the photo. It may weigh much.

Do not use plywood. It will delaminate in 5-6 years. I had to replace 6 partitions.

The item is a great dust collector. Therefore, if something is exhibited for a long time and is not often replaced, the entire facade of the shelf should better be covered with a plastic. To enlarge the space fix the screws with spacer-nuts.

Remember, this tutorial represents a budget version. There's a wide range of materials nowadays.
All to your taste. So, men, all is up to you! Imagination is boundless.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Nicholaj (dad)