Embroidering a Starfish Brooch with Swarovski Pearls and Beads

Today I want to offer you a tutorial on embroidering a brooch in the shape of a starfish.

For work you need:

1) 6 mm rose peach Swarovski pearl — 1 pc

2) 4 mm rose peach Swarovski pearl — 5 pcs, 4mm gold — 5 pcs, 4 mm creamrose — 5 pcs, 4 mm pearlscent white — 5 pcs

3) 3 mm creamrose Swarovski pearl — 5 pcs, 3 mm pearlscent white — 5 pcs

4) 3 mm biconical pink beads

5) 15/0 Japanese seed beads. Toho PF557 (gold), Miyuki 336 (pink). 11/0 Toho beads — PF557 (gold).

6) frame for your brooch

7) cardboard

8) basis for embroidery

9) Golden leather

10) monofilament

11) needles for beads

12) scissors

13) glue

14) carbon paper

15) pencil

You can get to work. I printed the pattern of the star and draw the axes.

Transfer the pattern to the base for embroidery using the carbon paper. I had 4 ironed layers of vlieseline painted gold (special paint for fabric).

Sew a 6 mm pearl pink to the centre.

Now you need to twine the bead around like a cabochon. Sew a row of 15/0 golden beads around the pearl. Sew 2 beads at once, pulling the needle from the back between these two beads, pass the needle through the second one and tighten. The same way deal with the next 2 beads. The most important thing when twining is to recruit an even number of beads.

Embroider the pearl with a ring of beads, pass the needle through the first bead. Now start embroidering the second row. Pick the beads, pass the needle through one bead of the base (that's why you need an even number of them). When you pick the last bead for the second row, pass the needle into the first bead of the second row. Follow this pattern when embroidering rows 3, 4 and 5.

Choose the narrowest beads for row 5. Work this last row with the needle twice, tightening the beads.

Fix the thread by passing the needle through the beads down on the back side. Make such a knot that a tail remained. This is how you will fix and decorate all the beads.

Sew 11/0 seed beads around the central bead.

Start embroidering the rays. Sew a 4 mm pink pearl, then a row of 15/0 golden beads around it (even number) and twist with 2 more rows, tighten the last of them, fix with a knot on the back side.

Make such a star.

Come back to one of the rays. Sew it and decor a 4 mm golden pearl.

Then do the same with a 4mm creamrose pearl.

At the end, sew a 3 mm creamrose pearl. Do not twist it, just surround it with a row of golden beads.

Now embroider the remaining 4 beads likewise.

Now embroider the star along its contour with golden beads. The empty corners should be filled with 11/0 and 15/0 golden beads.

Now it's the time to use brand-new Swarovski pearlescents. Sew one 4 mm pearl between the two rays near the center.

Embroider woth pink beads, sewing, as usual, 2 beads at once. I didn't twist these pearls, just used decorative stitching.

Sew 3 mm pearlescents under this bead and embroider with the same pink beads.

Embroider both pearls with golden beads.

Fill the appeared background with pink beads.

Add faceted bicone beads for shine.

Likewise deal with all the other fragments of the stars.

The most laborious part of the work is finished. Yay!

Now cut out the star carefully, close to the bead seam.

Now cut out such detail from the cardboard to firm the brooch. Cut it slightly smaller than the piece with embroidery.

Glue the cardboard to the back of the embroidery. Now it's time for the leather back. It's cut with a small allowance which is cut off then.

Make the layout for the fastener.

Make cuts on the leather along the markups, insert the base.

Now take super glue and apply it to several points of the base — just a few drops. Remove all extra leather — inside or cut out. Now glue the leather to the back of the embroidery.

Cut out all extra leather.

It's only the edges left. Perfect them with the monofilament. To do this, make a knot, pass the needle between the leather and embroidery, pull it out from the back side.

Insert the needle into the base, pass the needle through the loop and tighten.

Pick a bead, pass the needle through the right to the back side.

And now insert the needle into the bead again from the bottom up and tighten the monofilament so that the bead laid flat.

Sew all other beads the same way, a neat edge is comming out.

Refine the whole edge. Tie a few knots when passing through a bead. Then hide the thread end in the embroidery and cut the excess.

That's all our brooch-pendant is ready!

Thank you for your attention! If you liked my tutorial, please click Like. It's easy for you and pleasant for me.