Elegant Slippers in 30 Minutes

Today's tutorials is important for me :) Before I have spent a lot of felt, fabric, tested different materials for soles, and most importantly, working hours. And here it is, an original, bright, comfortable, and most importantly, quite sturdy and durable home slippers :)

In order to make them, I have prepared a special pattern printed on iron-on. Its use greatly simplifies and speeds up the process.

In addition to the pattern, you need

- felt of light colour for ironing-on (mine was white)

- felt for insoles

- and my main inspiration this week — cork sheet, in this case 3 mm thick

- glue, I used Moment Crystal

First, transfer the pattern to the felt.

To begin with, put the pattern with its right side on the felt and heat the iron up to almost maximum temperature. Carefully iron the sheet, not missing the edges.

In my opinion it is even better to slightly overheat the iron and notice while ironing that the felt began to slightly burn (this is not an instantaneous process and you will always have time to turn heat off, nothing bad will happen) rather than to iron cold iron and not transfer the pattern to the image.

Iron about a minute, then cool it and remove the upper layer of paper. The picture is transferred.

Cut out the parts of the slippers without seam allowances.

I adhered to the principle "better more than less." Therefore, I recommend to try it on at this stage.

Put the patterns for both slippers on a piece of felt.

Sew the details with a half-round stitch. Only along the top.

Now cut the parts along the contour to get a double top for the future slippers.

Now you need the pattern for the insole. Outline your foot on a sheet of paper.

Leave the insole pattern, do not cut it out.

Tack on the double top of a slipper. Tack twice, starting from the middle of the top.

After the machine stitching you can pull these threads away.

Now cut out the insole retreating 2-3 mm from the edge.

Now it is time to proceed to the final stage. The soles would be made of cork.

Glue the bottom of the felt insoles. Glue, among other things, perfectly stabilizes cork, reducing its fragility and prevents from cracking.

Cut the sole roughly, just to be able to put clips.

When the glue is dry, remove the clips and cut out the slippers.

You can stop at this stage or in addition stitch the slippers on the sewing machine. Cork is sewed very easily, despite its thickness.

That's all, the slippers are ready. In the following photo I have attempted to demonstrate that cork is strong enough to be bent.

The slippers: