Restoration at Home: New Life of an Old Table

The first time I decided to share my experience of old furniture restoration.

I have accidentally got four items of old furniture in poor condition: a desk, dresser, wall clock and trunk of two grannies, sisters, who came from Shanghai to our city and lived here the rest of their lives.

My husband and I decided to give these things a new life and let them live in our country house.

We started with the table. And here's what came out of it!

The table looked like this.

My husband and I worked the following way: he removed the old heritage and I did the decoration. The work went on. Husband cleared away all cover layers with power sander, plastered all surface defects and sanded them.

We decided that the table will not move apart any more and coated the line in the middle having joined the halves from the bottom beforehand. It turned out this way.

This is what the table looked like when I got it for my part of work. I covered some parts of the table with stain. After drying, I rubbed the places where I had planned to make shabby effect with a candle and painted with three layers of milky acrylic paint. Now you have:

I had a piece of cloth in the bins that I really wanted to fit somewhere. So the time had come! I cut a circle of a diameter slightly less than the diameter of the table and glued it on the countertop with multi-purpose PVA.

Then I had:

After drying, I have shaded the border between fabric and paint with a slightly wet plug, and then started varnishing all surfaces with Kiva Matt. The legs and base were covered 5-6 times, and the top even more (lost count). I polished the surface with sanding sponge In between.

The result is such a table!

And some more photos!

Well, that's all! Next is a dresser!

It looks like this for a while:

That's all for today! Thank you for your attention!