How to Turn Cardboard Surface Into Wooden: Quick and Budget Photo Background

I really like wooden backgrounds for photos. But an original wooden background requires much money or time. So I decided to experiment with container board, its grooves resembled old wooden boards somewhere in the country!

So, you need a very simple set of materials and tools:

- container board (I took the box of a kitchen machine to pieces);

- stationery knife;

- glue (I used hot glue, but thick PVA would be also good);

- structural acrylic pasta (I used the cheapest — Tair);

- unnecessary toothbrush (preferably hard) or brush for hair dying, you can use any tool with stiff bristles, even a comb with fine teeth));

- acrylic paint (white, brown, and other shades you want to see in the background, I additionally took red and black);

- bristle brush.

1. Cut out a base of the cardboard (I used one side of the box 35х40 cm).

2. Now slice 'planks', I made 4 pieces of 35х10 cm (actually, I measured less than 10 cm, so that there were gaps between them). (Cut so that the grooves of the cardboard ran along the "boards")

3. Glue the 'planks' on the base with a small gap. If you use simple glue instead of hot glue, put the blank under press so that it didn't wrap and wait until the glue dries out.

4. The next step is to apply the texture paste to the blank and 'comb' it with a brush, a little diverting the mass in different directions and imitating the texture of wood. Allow it to dry out.

5. Now apply white paint with the dry stiff brush, no need to completely paint the surface.

6. After drying of the white layer, paint all brown using the dry brush again. You also need to paint the spaces between the 'boards'.

7. Now apply the paints of other colours (I had black and red, mixed with white to get gray and brown), you can slightly moister the brush to make the transition of colours smoother.

8. After drying of the previous layer, slightly touch it with white (it's glaring in the photo as it's not entirely dry).

That's what I eventually had! In my opinion, it's like wood! :)

You can make such background bilateral by gluing similar 'boards' on the reverse side and paint it other shades!

I hope this tutorial will be useful for those who wants to quickly and, most importantly, for cheap get a photo background))

Enjoy your creative work!