How to Make a Metalsmith Lotus Ring

I’ve always wanted to make a tutorial that could reflect the whole process of metalworking from the beginning. What does it all start with? Right, with a bar making.

I scrape the barrel bottom, in a manner of speaking, gather some filings, put them in the crucible and melt until they remind a mirror. Then pour it out into the mould (it’s not in the photo).

Take two types of ingots out of the mould. The big one is for sheet metal, the narrow one is for wire. Roll a sheet on the rolling mill.

Apply a petal pattern to the sheet and saw the petals up. Usually it’s done on a V-slot bench, but I got used to using hand vice.

We’ve got such beauty after sawing.

Now mark centers with a compass and drill the holes.

Perfect the edges with a rubber polishing wheel.

Next, shape the blanks. Put one inside a doming block, press with a punch and hammer. Shape each blank this way.

It’s time to refine the surface. The ring was planned to be polished dull so we use a matting bit.

Put the petals away. It’s time to make the ring. Roll the second ingot to the width you want and give it a biconvex shape. For that, use special riffles on the rolling mill.

Shape the blank in the form of a ring, cut off a piece you need, file and solder the ends. To gauge the size of the blank, make it a quarter smaller than you need as it would enlarge a little bit when soldering and smoothing.

Drill a technical hole in the ring.

Make a pin of a matching diameter out of the wire. For that, fuse one wire end into a ball.

Polish the pin and the ball dull and put the details together. Then put some soldering alloy under each petal as close to the center as possible and two alloy pieces on the ring from two sides of the hole. Flux and solder. The solder should spread from the first time and fix all details.

Cut off extra bits of the pin, make it dull polished. If the size of the pin was picked correctly, the technical hole would be unseen. Having soldered the blank, whiten it with borax. The chill should be fresh as pink patina from old chill between the petals would be hardly brushed away. To add luster to the ring, perfect it with a rotating brush.

Adjust the size on a mandrel, retouch ring’s matting, if necessary. And the ring is ready :) You can wash the ring and take photos of it.