Jellyfish Pendant DIY with Pearls and Swarovski Crystals

When inspiration comes but you lack time, write down your ideas or sketch them in a special notebook like many artists do. I usually send emails to myself. Until recently, none of the ideas has been worked on. The letter with the jellyfish, which I sent myself half a year ago, was also one of them. My sincere gratitude to the organizers for this interesting contest! And special thanks to the extension of the deadline :) A miracle has happened when I practically lost hope! I’m very happy that I managed to realise my idea.

I offer you to make a Jellyfish pendant of pearls and Swarovski beads.

The tutorial is simple and easy. I attached beading schemes to each photo so that you could easily make a similar pendant. The tutorial is good for beginners.

Here’s what you need:

Swarovski white pearls for the head: 8 mm; 6 mm; 4 mm; 3 mm — 8 pc of each size. And:

1. 11/0 Miyuki Japanese round seed beads, half-matt inner-silvered crystal colour 1901 — 224 pc, up to 2 g.

2. 11/0 Delica Japanese seed beads, transparent glance crystal colour 50 — 40 pc, up to 1 g.

3. 15/0 Toho Japanese round seed beads, inner-silvered crystal colour 21 — 48 pc, up to 1 g.

For tentacles:

1. Fishing line of 0,18 — 60 cm for each tentacle (the length is specified with extra cm)

2. 6 mm Swarovski white pearls — 27 pc

3. 4 mm Swarovski ivory pearls — 36 pc

4. 3 mm Swarovski pastel rose pearls — 36 pc

5. 3 mm Xilion crystal AB beads — 27 pc

6. 2,5 mm Xilion crystal AB beads — 27 pc

7. 11/0 Delica Japanese seed beads, colour 50 — 45 pc

8. 15/0 Toho Japanese round seed beads, colour 21 — 9 pc

9. Eye pin — 1 pc

10. Bead cap — 1 pc

For assembling:

1. 3 mm Swarovski white pearls — 1 pc

2. Bale — 1 pc

3. Chain with carabiner — 1 pc

In the schematic new rows of beads and seed beads are identified with blue colour, and preceding rows with grey. Beads and seed beads of a preceding row are red when they are passed through with a needle. The movements of the needle are identified with red arrows.

The head

Step 1. Cut off a piece of thread, pick up one Miyuki seed bead on it and pass the both thread ends through the needle eye. Pick up 8 pearls of 8 mm and 7 Miyuki seed beads alternately. Complete the circle by passing the needle through the first bead.

Step 2. Inweave 9 Miyuki beads per one pearl along the whole row.

Step 3. Inweave 1 Miyuki seed bead — 1 pearl of 6 mm — 1 Miyuki seed bead over the central seed beads (I mean Seed Beads 5) of the preceding row.

Step 4. Add one more Miyuki seed bead over the beads of the preceding row.

Step 5. Inweave 7 Miyuki seed beads over the beads of the preceding row.

Step 6. Inweave 1 Miyuki seed bead — 1 pearl of 4 mm — 1 Miyuki seed bead over the central beads of the preceding row (Beads 4).

Step 7. Add one more Miyuki seed bead over the beads of the preceding row.

Step 8. Inweave 5 Delica seed beads over the beads of the preceding row.

Step 9. Inweave 1 Toho seed bead — 1 pearl of 3 mm — 1 Toho seed bead over the central beads of the preceding row (Beads 3).

Step 10. Add one more Toho seed bead over the beads of the preceding row.

Step 11. Add 3 Miyuki seed beads over the beads of the preceding row.

Step 12. Inweave 3 Toho seed beads over the central beads of the preceding row (Beads 2).

Step 13. Add 1 Miyuki seed bead between the central beads of the preceding row (Beads 2).

Step 14. Inweave 1 Miyuki seed bead after each second. 4 beads instead of 8 in total. At the same time tighten the beads of the preceding row having nothing inweaved there.

Step 15. Inweave 4 more Miyuki seed beads.

We’re over with the head. Put it aside and make the tentacles.

Tentacles

You need 9 tentacles for this head in total.

Use a 60 cm piece of line for one tentacle. Pick up one Toho seed bead on one end of the line. Then pick up beads and pearls to both ends at once in this order:

1. 2,5 mm Xilion crystal AB beads — 3 pc

2. 3 mm Xilion crystal AB beads — 3 pc

3. 3 mm Swarovski pastel rose pearls — 4 pc

4. 4 mm Swarovski ivory pearls — 4 pc

5. 6 mm Swarovski white pearls — 3 pc

6. Delica Japanesу beads — 3-7 pc

So, gather all 9 tentacles.

After that, bundle them all. The tentacles are gathered from smaller to bigger ones. In other words, the tentacles with more beads over the top pearl go into the middle.

Bind the line ends in a knot, but don’t tighten it. Pass the eye pin through the loop of knots, tighten it. Next, pull each line up so that the beads came closer to their knots.

Make 1-2 more knots on the eye pin and cut off the ends of the lines; carefully fuse the line up to the knots. It is important to do it carefully, leaving the knots unfused. Press each fused line to its knot and strengthen it with superglue; put the bead cap on them all. Tightly press the cap to the knots: it should both hide them and stick to them.

Assembling

Pick up a pearl of 3 mm on the eye pin — this is an approximate length from the cap to the jellyfish’s head inside (when using another bead set for tentacles, this length may be different due to the size of the beads). Pass the eye pin through the head leaving the pin’s eye over the jellyfish; remember to add the bale beforehand.

Pass the chain through the bale and adore the result :)

Thanks for your time! :) Create for pleasure!