Wire Wrap DIY: Making a Green Garden Hairpin

I was asked to tell how I make hairpins a couple of times, in particular this touched upon the easiest one, called Green Garden.

I decided to illustrate the whole process to make clear. :-) So I hope it would be useful)

What you need:

1 – Copper or brass wire of 1.5 mm diameter for base and of 0.3 or 0.4 mm for winding.

2 – Round-nose pliers

3 – Half-round nose pliers (like pliers but smooth)

4 – Cutting pliers

5 – Hammer

6 – Flat steel bar (Flacheisen) or anvil

7 – Needle file or a nail file (I have several needle files but the nail file in the picture is my favourite one, it makes sides smooth)

8 – Beads (may vary)

9 – Liquid for metal blackening. I use this, though metal can be blackened by different methods. :0)

10 – And WigJig gear (you could actually do without it).

To begin with, cut a piece of wire. I always cut it longer, just in case, as I can shorten it later. If you make a 12 cm hairpin like I do, then take a 40 cm wire.

Let’s start bending the decorative part of the hairpin and making waves of the wire. All length would be used for that.

Find the middle of your wire.

If you use Wig Jig, make the simple combination of three «leaves» twisting the central part of your wire.

Take the blank and make curves with round-nose pliers.

Try to make curves as symmetric as possible.

Go on bending:

I usually make waves smaller at the end of the hairpin. Big, less, and even smaller. Tastes differ, though.)

When the waves are ready, cut out the unnecessary bits.

Hit the blank with the hammer on your flat steel bar or anvil. You needn’t hit it with much force. Have some training of hammering a piece of wire beforehand.

Let’s make one more fine detail for your hairpin.

Treated the ends with a nail file, so they can't scratch.Handle the pin’s ends with the nail file so that they didn’t scratch its owner’s head.

Hammer it.

When hammering, make sure that the curve matches the hairpin.

And a new step) twin the hairpin) and join the details. Let’s put the beads into their places.

Fix the beads into their places twining them this way:

Add smaller beads – make one or two curves around the wave curves and cut off the wire leaving a 3-4 cm tail

Fix two small beads into their places the same way, but don’t cut the ends of the thin wire — we would use twine them round the waves.

We’ll remove these wire ends that are sticking out of the central bead. Carefully twine one end around the wire with a small bead, cut off the bits and squeeze them with half-round nose pliers. The ends are over)

Keep on twining the hairpin. )

Take the small curvy detail you’ve done and a piece of thin wire — I seemed to have taken a 15 cm piece (because always take it by eye and a little bit more). Twine several curves around the central part of the detail.

Then pass the both ends through a new small bead this way.

Pull up the wires and twine them round the detail again.
At the end, fix the detail to the hairpin :)

There are several methods of hiding the ends. I made it this way:

(that’s a back side of the hairpin in the photo)

Cut off all unnecessary bits ))) squeeze all that needs to be squeezed and file all at the end)

Now you can cover it all with the blackening liquid, wait for a while and polish a little bit (use a piece of fabric, a special paste like Goy or Dursol, or an engraver with nozzles if you have).

And all is ready!)))

Hope I haven’t missed anything :-)