How to Sew Doll's Flats of Leatherette on a Last

I've already shown you how to make seamless sandals for dolls. And this time I will tell how to sew simple flats from leatherette on a last.

So, you need:
- a piece of coloured leather for the flats and bows, and a piece of white leather for insoles;
- thick cardboard;
- material for soles (I found repair rubber soles);
- decorative edging (I used rubber foam, the same as thick foam);
- 60 seconds instant glue gel (just the gel, it does not leak and takes fast);
- transparent multi-purpose glue gel;
- tools: scissors, ruler, pencil, wooden sticks, needle, thread;
- lasts for shoes.

Note: the tutorial is made for work with leather, while this has its own nuances.

Cut out 2 details for the flats and 2 sets for the bows from coloured leatherette: 2 white insoles, 2 cardboard insoles and 2 rubber soles. You are to make seam allowances along the outer edge (cut out scallops) and the back seam. Please note — leatherette with fabric base has transverse and lengthwise threads, and you need to cut diagonally so that the detail was stretchable.

Put a decorative stitch along the inner edge of the flat blanks. There are special stitching machine needles for leather, they give a beautiful line. But I prefer to do it manually. It's better to use a thick thread, for example, a special one for jeans.

Sew up the back seam.

Carefully glue the cuts to the back with the instant glue.

Put on the blanks onto the lasts, apply the cardboard insoles to the bottom.

Start glueing the scallops to the cardboard insoles with the instant glue. Watch your fingers! It's good to use wooden sticks for pressing the scallops, I use manicure sticks.

Note! Don't apply too much glue. The thinner the layer is, the faster the glue takes, a thicker layer will get dry in some minutes and you'll stick to it yourself for a hundred times :)

First, fix 2 back scallops and a front one to the back side of the toe cap in the center.

Then glue the scallops by turn, gently spreading and stretching the material.

Glue the remaining scallops.

Cut two insert for the middle of the insole from scraps of leather to even out the surface.

Similarly, glue the second flat.

Take the sole details. Coat first the bottom of the flats with the instant glue, then the sole detail and IMMEDIATELY and carefully press them to each other. You can easily remove extra glue by rolling it up. Put it aside and glue the sole to the second flat.

Take the first blank and STRONGLY press the entire surface of the sole. The force of pressing has the decisive importance, not the time. Do the same with the second blank.

While the glue is drying out, make the bows. Take a blank for the bow, mark the middle from the back side, and stick the cuts one to each other with the instant glue.

Turn it to the other side, again mark the middle and carefully cut out the bows with the scissors.

Take one strip for the knot of the bow and glue it, turning around the bow.

Take the decorative edging and carefully glue it along the whole length of the soles with the instant glue. Both the sole edge and its bottom edge should be glued. It's better to make the joint on a flat surface of the sole so that the corner did not diverge.

Glue the bows to the flats with the super-glue.

Carefully take off the flats from the lasts and glue the leatherette insoles to the inside with the multi-purpose glue.

Our flats are ready!