Handmade Romanian Lace: from Idea to Implementation

Romanian lace from idea to implementation

I want to share my experience in creating Romanian lace from scratch.

I was looking forward to making this lace, but I deterred myself because wanted to make my own original product, and not just borrow a ready-made piece. And I didn't want to carry a great product like all, summer I'm always traveling, and I wanted to take. So I decided to make lace pieces, then assemble in a single composition.

So, I made a pattern of the future item. Since I decided to make a standing collar, I had to see what it will look like in the end. So I made a mock-up out of fabric and tried it on the model.

So I was ready to work.

I had knitted a small ball of i-cord using Pelican of the Vita company. Very convenient thread for this lace.

Having seen some ornaments, I painted my own sketch. Then transferred it to tracing paper and laid it out of the cord on a piece of foam plastic, fixed with pins to see what the pattern designed in lace will look like.

I sewed the cord to a fabric base. Made a test element. Have drawn the final version and transferred it to the fabric. Laid out the element.

Began coming up with ideas of how to fill different parts of the motif.

I knitted 12 such element. I knited the central element for the back decoration larger.

The sizes of other elements were compared with the pattern.

Laid out all elements on the pattern. Pinned them to the mock-up and tried it on the model.

Began thinking of variants of filling with other elements. Made minor elements separately.

Put the elements together, on the foam plastic (sold at hardware stores).

Filled the rest of the space with the i-cord.

Did the same for the back decor.

Made the pattern of the sleeves separately.

Sewed the sleeve.

That's what camу out. I was satisfied with the result. It turned out that I made all items separately, and assembling had paid off. In general, I really liked ithe technique of Romanian lace and it is available for any skilled needlewoman. This work from scratch took me about 2 months. Now I have a ready piece of lace. And if I want to make this piece again, it would be much faster.

I really recommend you this technique. It's quite modern and is not very difficult to be performed. Carefulness is rather important.

Wish you creative success.