Kids' Scratchboard DIY

What can you interest your child with? One of the answers is crafting together. This tutorial has been tested on my own child (as the saying goes, 'no animals were harmed'). It is not necessary to know all about drawing, but the result would be wonderful in any case!

You need:

- a piece of cardboard or thick paper;

- oil pastel;

- black ink or acrylic paint;

- water;

- brush;

- something sharp (screwdriver, ink pen).

A sheet of paper is painted with oil pastels in random order. Coloured stains should be contiguous to each other and do not leave white paper in between.

Next, paint black acrylic paint (slightly diluted with water) over the pastels.

Allow the paint dry, then use the screwdriver to easily scratch the sketch of the future drawing. Focus on a lighthouse, the light from it, the moon and a house.

Then, work out the whole picture by the same method (harder or gentler scratching with the tool). Make these more clear: stars, trees, reflection of the moon path in the water, and so on.

Optionally, you can draw a frame using different patterns.

And most importantly, don't be afraid of doing something wrong, as you can always cover a 'wrong' area with black paint and re-scratch the detail.

You can perform various scenes by this technique: night, sea, fantasy, fairytale, space.

One another story as an example, 'The reflection of a night city in the water'. Here I covered pastels with black ink, it does not cover the previous layer so densely as acrylic paint.

And this is what my son Maxim draw (12 years old) having inspired by the process of creating this tutorial.

A bird turned out :)

So feel free with your children to go ahead! Remember that there are no mistakes in this technique.